Dairy Month is one of our favorite months of the year! We like to celebrate by reminding others about all the cool things dairy products have to offer to consumers. Experts recommend getting three servings of dairy each day. With something as nutrient-dense as milk, you are sure to get all the necessities easily.
Milk is the number one source for most of NINE key nutrients that help kids and adults grow (and stay) healthy and strong. So milk isn’t just healthy for you, it’s one of the best ways to maintain your health. Check out some of the top nutrients you can find in one serving of milk:
- Calories: 146
- Protein: 8 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Calcium: 28% of the daily recommended amount
- Vitamin D: 18% of the daily recommended amount
- Riboflavin (B2): 26% of the daily recommended amount
- Vitamin B12: 18% of the daily recommended amount
- Potassium: 10% of the daily recommended amount
- Phosphorus: 22% of the daily recommended amount
- Selenium: 13% of the daily recommended amount
You know milk is healthy, but did you know…
- Chocolate milk is just as nutritious as white milk. The two contain the same nutrients, but chocolate milk (or any other flavored milk) have added sweeteners to change the flavor. In these cases, there is typically more sugar, calories and carbohydrates. This does NOT mean that chocolate milk isn’t healthy. In fact, it’s a great way to get those necessary nutrients while adding a great flavor!
- Dairy products contain protein, which is proven to help us feel fuller without feeling sluggish later. This can help us with portion control and feeling like we have more energy throughout the day.
- All dairy (think: milk, cheese, most yogurts) are gluten free. However, dairy products with other added ingredients may not be, so be sure to read the label if you need to avoid gluten.
Have you ever had something so healthy that tastes so good?! 😋🥛 If you need soem dairy products to celebrate Dairy Month, stop by the farm store and pick up some of your favorites.
Monday through Saturday