There is little better than adding cheese to your hamburger, a gooey melted grilled cheese, or a cheese and cracker tray at a get-together. Before we get to enjoy all of the wonderful things we can do with cheese, it has to go through quite the process. While it may take years to make a block of cheese, our cheese is well worth the years. Our cheese-making process is intricate and leads to a variety of flavors and types of cheeses that you will be dying to try when you finish reading this blog post, not to mention, you might gain an even greater appreciation for cheese!
If you have ever been interested in the process it takes to make cheese, look no further! Below is a quick step-by-step process of how we make our cheese:
- Add starter and non-starter bacteria. Cheese-makers add the starter culture and any non-starter bacteria to the milk as the first step. Adding the starter culture and any non-starter bacteria to the milk helps to develop the flavor of the cheese.
- Form the curd. Then, cheese makers add an enzyme called rennet that impacts the milk proteins. The rennet helps the milk proteins coagulate and the cheese becomes one solid mass. After sitting for 30 minutes undisturbed, the cheese is the right firmness to be cut into smaller curds.
- Cut the curd and separate the whey. After sitting for a while, we cut the large curd of cheese into smaller pieces and heated to help separate the whey.
- Drain the whey. The whey separates from the solids and drains from the vat.
- Salt. Cheese-makers salt the cheese according to its type.
- Form cheese into blocks. Using a metal press, we press the cheese into blocks for easier storage.
- Store and age. Once the cheese is in a block form, we place it in coolers to age. The aging process can take anywhere from several months to several years, depending on the variety.
- Package. Finally, when the cheese is aged to perfection, we take it out, cut it and package it into the appropriate sizes.
While the basics are the same for making cheese no matter the type, there is some slight variety depending on the flavor and type of cheese. These could be differences in the amount of time the cheese ages or the difference in the way the cheese maker salts and flavors the cheese.
We offer a variety of cheeses that are sure to satisfy any cheesy craving you might have:
- Bacon cheddar
- Sharp Cheddar
- Hot Pepper Cheddar
- Mild Cheddar
- Mild Hot Pepper
- Raw Colby
- Raw Hot Pepper Cheddar
- Raw Mild Cheddar
- Raw Sharp Cheddar
- Raw Smoked Cheddar
- Raw Smoked Colby
You can buy our cheeses in the farm store or can be ordered online and shipped directly to you. And don’t worry, you don’t have to wait for years to get your cheese. What are you waiting for? Go pick up some cheese!